Can I Move Out of State with My Minor Child?

When the parents of a minor child are divorced, or were never married to begin with and now live apart, the law requires there to be an Order with regard to custody and visitation of the child. In Tennessee, most issues relating to the minor children, including custody, are included in the Parenting Plan that must be filed in a divorce. Sometimes, however, things change after the originally Parenting Plan is entered. For example, if you are the primary custodial parent of a minor child in Tennessee, what happens if you want to move out of state? Can you do that? Is the other parent required to agree? Are you required to notify the other parent? The State of Tennessee has very specific procedures that must be followed in his situation and failure to follow them can have serious negative consequences. For that reason alone, it is in your best interest to consult with an experienced Tennessee child custody attorney if you find yourself wishing to move out of state with your minor child.


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s